Microsoft Teams is a collaborative communication platform developed by Microsoft from the Microsoft 365 products. It is a central hub for workspace conversation, video chats and calls, application integration, and file storage.
Features of Microsoft Teams
- Chats – Users can communicate via chats which are persistent.
- Channels – Group members can reply to texts and images other than using emails.
- Video conferencing – allows you to meet and work securely from anywhere.
- Screen Sharing – this facilitates brainstorming on ideas and training. And you can choose what to share.
- Custom Backgrounds – You can customize virtual space that keeps focus on conversations.
- Webinars – Engage with your customers or your organization from anywhere with upto 1000 participants.
- File Sharing- You can share files securely via cloud and collaboration tools built into Microsoft teams.
- Microsoft Teams Phone – allows you to call from anywhere via your phone, tablet or computer.
- Video and voice calling – make and receive calls directly on Microsoft teams.
- Private Branch Exchange (PBX) – Establish a PBX phone system to handle your organization’s internal and external calls.
- Integration – Add custom apps that make your process efficient and automate workflows
Microsoft Teams Use cases
- Home – You can call, chat with your friends and family all in one app. Offers chat features like emojis and GIFs to make conversation more fun.
- Work – You can meet, call, chat and collaborate with your team. You just set up a workspace where everything is available at one place.
- Education institutions for Primary, Secondary and Higher education that allows easy collaboration and learning from anywhere.
- Healthcare – Expand patient care by use of virtual visits. Ofer features like scheduling and set reminders.
In this guide, I will show you how to;
- Install Microsoft Teams on KDE Neon|Kubuntu.
- Launch Microsoft Teams
The Microsoft Teams desktop app for Linux systems supports work or school accounts managed by an organization. If you are planning to install Microsoft Teams for personal use, you will have to use the WebApp on Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge Browser. Hence, have one of these browsers installed on your system.
Also, Sign up for a Microsoft Teams account using your personal Microsoft account.
Install Microsoft Teams on KDE Neon / Kubuntu
We shall consider two methods that can be used install Microsoft Teams on KDE Neon / Kubuntu.
Method 1: Install Microsoft Teams on KDE Neon / Kubuntu using GUI
.deb package for Microsoft Teams from the Microsoft Teams website.
Save the file locally on the system.
Navigate to your Downloads folder and install the package using ‘Discover’
It will open the Discover installation wizard for the app as shown below. Click on the Install button
Then authenticate the installation by typing your password for the system, then click OK.
After the installation completes, Launch the Microsoft Teams from the Application Launcher.
Method 2: Install Microsoft Teams on KDE Neon / Kubuntu from APT repo
Import repository GPG key.
sudo apt update sudo apt install curl -y curl https://packages.microsoft.com/keys/microsoft.asc | sudo apt-key add -
Then add the repository to your system
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://packages.microsoft.com/repos/ms-teams stable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/teams.list'
With the repository added proceed to install Microsoft Teams on KDE Neon / Kubuntu:
sudo apt update sudo apt install teams
This will install Microsoft Teams.
$ dpkg -l teams Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad) ||/ Name Version Architecture Description +++-==============-============-============-======================================================================== ii teams 1.4.00.26453 amd64 Microsoft Teams for Linux is your chat-centered workspace in Office 365.
You can launch Microsoft Teams on KDE Neon / Kubuntu from terminal or Desktop Environment.
The output is shown below.
Using Microsoft Teams on KDE Neon / Kubuntu
After launching Microsoft teams, the following window opens. Click on Get started
After that, the next window asks for your work or school account. (If you don’t have any and plan to use Teams for personal use, type in your personal email) Then click Next.
You will have to sign in to your work or school or personal account, so type in your account address.
Then type in your password to sign in.
After you successfully sign in, the following page shows if you used your school or work account.
Configuration for Personal Use
If you used a personal Microsoft account, You are likely to get the following error, as the desktop app supports only work or school accounts as I mentioned before. But that does not mean you cannot use Microsoft Teams on Linux, Click on the Switch to Teams app button. It will open in a browser, and to use it you should either have Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge browser installed in your Linux system.
This will open a link on the google browser, that will ask you to sign in to your account. Remember to have signed up to Microsoft teams beforehand as it will still ask you to sign up if your email is not registered.
Once your email is registered on teams, then you can log in to teams with your account on the Web App as shown below.
This shows you can chat with your loved ones with Microsoft Teams installed on your system. Other options include video chat or schedule for one later on.
The other option allows you to view your calendar and any meetings scheduled will show up there.
The installation and configuration of Microsoft Teams are successful.
From this guide, You have learned how to download and install Microsoft Teams on your KDE Neon|Kubuntu system. This will help you communicate with your family and friends and have meetings without any issue. Other features include creating reminders and schedules to assist you in managing your time and working in an orderly manner.