A huge percentage of individuals are always on the lookout for a gateway to the Internet. Note that the Internet is a platform where people can access unlimited sources of information. Thus, a software application known as a web browser is used to take you anywhere on the internet and lets you view texts, images, or videos. In other words, a web browser is a door to the information space known as the world wide web. With this tool, you can access any content regardless of which part of the world you originate from. A web browser uses a client-server networking model where the user requests data, and the browser fetches the information from a web server and displays the search results on the screen. On your Solus system, you can view and read webpage content easily by installing Vivaldi or Brave Web browsers after following this guide.
Vivaldi Web Browser
A lot of people cannot use a computer without installing a web browser. Vivaldi is one of the popular web browser applications you should consider installing on your Solus system. It was developed by Vivaldi Technologies and was first released on April 6, 2016. The aim of creating Vivaldi was to present a web browser that recaptures the customizability and minimalism of the Opera browser. Thus, Vivaldi is a highly customizable and free browser with features almost the same as its predecessor, Opera.
Features of Vivaldi Web Browser
- Quick Commands: Vivaldi allows you to use keyboard shortcuts. For instance, you search in the tabs, bookmarks, or settings by pressing F2 on your keyboard. Also, it has a Quick command dialog box that displays shortcuts for commands.
- Tab stacking: To reduce clutter while browsing, Vivaldi has a great feature called Tab Stacking. It enables you to group several tabs by dragging and dropping them to your desired spot. You can compare a tab stack to the folders you create on your computer while organizing your files.
- Note taking: In this Vivaldi feature, you can write down something while browsing. Note that this consist of selected parts of a webpage or your ideas.
- Supports mouse gesture shortcuts: With Vivaldi, you can close tabs or open new ones with a click.
- Managing Downloads: Vivaldi allows managing of downloads where you can access the downloaded files and remove or clear the whole list of downloaded items.
- Tile Tab Stacks: Using the tab tiling feature in the Vivaldi browser, you can view more than one page at once. Thus, one can display the stacked tabs in a grid layout or side by side.
- Bookmark Feature: With the bookmark feature in Vivaldi, you can save the addresses of web pages for later reference. Also, it has a bookmark manager that enables you to add or delete bookmarks.
Brave Web Browser
Since the current world of technology offers a variety of browsers, it is important to choose the one that presents you with the best experience. Brave is a search engine or web browser that makes surfing an interesting activity. Note that the main focus of Brave is to provide a browser that has privacy-rich features. It makes browsing faster and secure by blocking online ads from the websites being accessed. Additionally, Brave is owned by Brave Software Inc which is an independent and private organization.
Features of Brave Web Browser
- Privacy: Brave protects you from prying eyes when you are browsing. With the ad blocker feature in Brave, you can surf without the fear of interference from unauthorized individuals.
- Cross-platform: You can enjoy the capabilities of Brave from Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, or Android.
- Secure: This is one of the core features of Brave. It allows you to send and receive requests while preventing websites from following your activities.
- No Search Algorithm: Brave does not follow any algorithm when controlling search rankings.
- Stream Torrent files: Many browsers will not allow you to play torrent downloaded files directly. However, Brave integrates with WebTorrent enabling you to stream torrent files in the browser.
- Brave rewards: After registering for Brave Rewards, you can earn tokens and receive them after spending quality time on the websites.
- High Speed: Brave is a fast browser with up to 3x speed.
Installing Vivaldi Web Browser on Solus
Before we start installing Vivaldi, let’s first upgrade the Solus system from the terminal.
sudo eopkg upgrade
Note that Vivaldi is available in Solus repositories. It is a repackaging of the .deb file into Solus .eopkg file maintained by Jacalz. Go ahead and install Vivaldi using the following command.
sudo eopkg install vivaldi-stable
After entering the above command, you will be asked whether you want to continue with the installation. Type yes and hit the Enter button.
$ sudo eopkg install vivaldi-stable Following packages will be installed: ffmpeg-chromium-vivaldi-stable vivaldi-stable Total size of package(s): 86.33 MB There are extra packages due to dependencies. Do you want to continue? (yes/no)yes
The installation of the Vivaldi Web browser will take place successfully. Confirm whether the installation was successful by checking on the Vivaldi version.
$ vivaldi-stable --version Vivaldi 5.3.2679.70 stable
Feel free to launch Vivaldi from the Terminal using this command:
Alternatively, you can open Vivaldi by searching it from the activities>applications.
Vivaldi web browser will open as shown in the illustration below.
Using Vivaldi Browser on Solus
Now that Vivaldi is successfully installed on Solus, you can start using it. Here are a couple of ways you can use and manage the Vivaldi web browser:
a) Change Vivaldi Theme
Vivaldi gives you access to the many themes, where you can select the one that suits you best. Go to Vivaldi settings, click on Themes and choose a theme of your preference.
b) Sidebar Tabs
Vivaldi allows you to place tabs in different positions. You can make changes from the Settings > Tabs > Tab Bar Position.
For instance, if you pick the right tab bar position, the Vivaldi homepage will appear as illustrated below.
c) Take Screenshots on Vivaldi Browser
Vivaldi has an interesting tool that allows you to take a screenshot of a webpage. Access it from the bottom of the Vivaldi homepage.
After clicking on the capture icon, you will be asked to choose the type of screenshot you want.
Once you have chosen a type of screenshot, click on capture to save the image.
d) Note Taking
Vivaldi integrates a note-taking application directly into the web browser. Click on the Notes icon to access and use it.
e) Installing plugins in Vivaldi
Since Vivaldi was built based on the Chromium browser, the extensions in the chrome web store are compatible with Vivaldi. Simply search for the desired extension from the Chrome web store. I will use the uBlock Origin extension as an example.
Select the extension and click on add to chrome to install the extension on Vivaldi. The extension will be added successfully on the web browser.
Installing Brave Web Browser on Solus
While installing applications, it is advisable to upgrade the Solus repositories first.
sudo eopkg upgrade
When the updating is done, we will install Brave using two methods; you can choose the one that pleases you.
Method 1:Using Snap
Snap is a package manager which is used to install and manage software on different operating systems. We will use it to install Brave on Solus. In case Snap is not available on your system, use the following command to install it.
sudo eopkg install snapd
Now use snap to install Brave from your Solus system.
sudo snap install brave
Brave is installed successfully by snap after using the above command.
$ sudo snap install brave Password: brave 1.41.100 from Brave Software (brave) installed
Verify that the installation was successful by checking on the Brave version.
$ brave --version Brave Browser 18.104.22.168
Method 2: Install Brave from Solus Repositories
Brave web browser is available in the Solus repositories, hence we will install it by typing the below command on the terminal.
sudo eopkg it brave
Before the installation proceeds, you will be asked to approve the installation of Brave. Type yes to continue installing Brave on Solus.
$ sudo eopkg it brave Password: Following packages will be installed: brave libgnome-keyring Total size of package(s): 91.50 MB There are extra packages due to dependencies. Do you want to continue? (yes/no) yes
Brave will be installed successfully.
Launch Brave by searching for it from activities>application.
Brave will open as illustrated below.
Using Brave Browser on Solus
After launching the Brave web browser on Solus, it will let you skip the welcome tour or click on the Next button to read more information about the browser.
We will go through some tips on how you should use Brave on Solus.
a) Blocking Ads and Trackers
After the tour, the Brave homepage will open as illustrated below. From the search bar, you can search for the information you want and get the necessary results.
When you start browsing with Brave, it will block ads and trackers and let you see the summary of blocked content from the homepage.
If you want to manage ad and trackers blocking on a particular site, click on the Brave icon. You can adjust the settings regarding ads and trackers blocking from the small window that appears. Additionally, from the same window, you can allow ads and trackers on the website.
b) Dark Mode
If you want to change from light to dark mode on Brave, go to settings and click on Brave colors.
c) Brave Themes
To access the available themes in Brave, click on settings>appearance>themes.
Once you have clicked on Themes, you will be directed to another window where you should select the theme that pleases you.
On the Next window, click on Add to Brave. The theme will be added successfully to your web browser.
d) Brave Plugins
In case you want to add an extension to the Brave browser, search the plugin from the chrome web store.
Click on the specific extension and add it Brave. I have used Grammarly as an example of an extension you can add to your browser.
e) Brave Rewards
If you are interested in earning rewards while browsing using Brave on Solus, head to settings>Brave Rewards and click on Start Using Brave Rewards.
Installing a browser on your computer is the beginning of the journey of browsing. If you want to experience the joy of using a web browser, consider following this guide. As you go through this article, you will get the knowledge you require for the installation and usage of Brave/Vivaldi on Solus. In case you have any queries, feel free to leave a message in the comment section.